Sunday, October 21, 2007

Wind, Lobster, A Good Book....

As we were taking my granddaughter home this afternoon, we thought we had better feed the scrawny thing, so off to Red Lobster we went. As we go down the 15 freeway, we encounter winds like never before. I had the gas peddle floored, and we were only moving not even 10 miles per hour. That is how strong the winds were blowing today. Over the news it was stated that the winds were about 80-100mph. Look at what we drove through. I'm sorry that the pictures aren't any clearer, but my granddaughter was scared as she took the pictures because my truck was literally going all over the place. It was harder than heck to control it. At one point, the visibility as zero. You can see in the first picture, as the dust/dirt just started...and within 20 minutes, my windshield was being pelted with gravel, rocks, paper, and anything else that could be air born.

It was a strange feeling, knowing that you are in this heavy duty truck, and you can't keep it on the road. The little cars in from of me were going from one lane to another. The dust bowl effect lasted from about the Santa Ana River all the way where I got off the freeway at 4th, just one exit north of the 10 freeway. I imagine it was worse as you got closer to the Cajon Pass, which by the way, has a HUGE fire. Then we got to noticing, the sky was particularly quiet. No airplanes in/out of Ontario Airport. WOW. For some reason, I immediately thought of Sept. 11, when all planes were grounded. It was just surreal.

We made it to drop her off after we dined on lobster, shrimp and crab legs without incident. I'm so glad to be home. Now, as I sit here, I can hear the wind whip through the trees outside, and I am thankful I have my cozy blankie to curl up in.

I'm off...to make me some nice hot tea, gather my glasses and my book, and then to curl up on the sofa, while hubby rubs my feet. Awww, life is grand indeed.

No comments: